Recognition of SoBaT/Swiss Degrees

The following is the abstract of the statement of State Secretariat for Education and Research, Federal Department of Home Affairs, Switzerland on validity of degrees issued by private institutions in Switzerland.

Original statement can be viewed on Federal Department of Foreign Affairs website.

“private institutions were created mainly for the purpose of servicing international students and are not part of Switzerland’s public higher education sector”.

“As a general rule, in Switzerland no prior authorisation is required in order to offer higher education courses, organise examinations or issue private degrees”.

“Private institutions that are not part of Switzerland’s public higher education sector, are not compatible with it, or are not entirely supervised by public authorities offer a different, but not necessarily lower, level of quality. There are several prestigious private institutions that are entirely independent from Switzerland’s public higher education sector”.

“For unregulated professions (e.g. managers, journalists, etc.), it is up to employers to decide whether to “recognise” the value of a degree”.

“Private institutions based in Switzerland that are not accredited as HEIs by the Swiss University Conference (SUK) may only issue private degrees”. Such degrees:

may be used by the holder to carry out an unregulated profession; appreciation of the value of private degrees is left up to employers”.

“Generally speaking, there are no international agreements protecting the value of private degrees; in all cases, it is up to the national authorities in the host country to decide whether to recognise foreign qualifications”.

“Private institutions are able to legitimately carry out their activities in Switzerland by virtue of the principle of economic freedom”.

Legalisation / Verification / Authentication / Notarisation

Some countries require legalisation / verification / authentication / notarisation of the foreign degrees. The School of Business and Trade does not offer such services so please do not contact us. 

Now the question is how can that be done? Please follow the given instructions outlined below.

    1. First, get a print out of your PDF certificate through a colour laser printer.
    2. Make a photocopy of your printed certificate.
    3. Take this to any notary public or authorised department to get this certified.
    4. If they need to verify the certificate, they can verify it on our website or through email.

Example 1, one of our students from the Republic of Djibouti needed to legalise his documents from his government. He printed the certificate and sent that to Ministère des Affaires Etrangères et de la Coopération Internationale. They sent us an email to verify. We replied to the department and they legalised the degree on the same day.

Example 1, Legalised Certificate

Example 2, After completion of a Bachelor’s degree, one of our graduates from Finland applied for admission at the University of Barcelona in a Master’s programme. She followed the above procedure and got accepted into a Master’s programme at the university.